As January winds to a close and slips away into the past, have you found yourself losing steam on your New Year’s resolutions (which, I’m guessing, might have included something along the lines of “lose weight, live healthier, get in shape”)?
Expand travel plus wine to travel plus run plus wine. Depending on your fitness level, look for a 5K, 10K, half marathon or even a full marathon in a city you want to visit, book your tickets and start training!
The training will force you to get in shape, and many cities offer run clubs which make the effort fun and social.
Running a race course through a new city is not only exhilarating and a great way to get an eyeful of the city, but also a perfect excuse to travel. And when you’ve finished the race, reward yourself with a visit to the best wine bar in the city … or best Italian restaurant to enjoy a cozy dinner for two accompanied by a wonderful bottle of Chianti … or whatever particular bribe works best for you!
The scenic course starts in downtown Miami, crosses over the Macarthur Causeway to South Beach, takes you a few miles down the beach and then back to downtown.
This year, the weather was perfect and the runners and crowds were vibrant as ever.
Some enticing races coming up that may inspire you:
- Another one in Miami: the 13.1 Miami Beach Half-Marathon and 5K: March 4 (with beachside dancing bash afterwards)
- Georgia Marathon and Half Marathon (Atlanta; 6th Annual): March 18
- New York: 13.1 Half Marathon and 5K: March 24
- Boulder, CO: BolderBoulder 10K: May 28 (Recently named America’s All Time Best 10K by Runner’s World magazine)
- WIPRO San Fransisco Marathon: July 29th (For those who really want a challenge – hills, hills and more hills.)
- Chicago Half Marathon and 5K (16th Annual): September 9. (Perfect time of the year to visit the Windy City!)
And of course, there are thousands of other options out there, all over the globe!